Review of The Element: Finding Your Passion Changes Everything
The Element: Finding Your Passion Changes Everything, written by Dr Ken Robinson with the assistance of Lou Aronica, (Penguin, London, 2009).
In my thirties and forties, I was deeply invested in self-help books. Understandable indeed, given that at that age I was somewhere between entering and enduring what is commonly termed the “midlife crisis.” I was then well aware of Carl Jung's concept of the two halves of life, which suggested a distinct shift in focus as individuals progress through life. The first half, according to this analytical psychologist, is primarily concerned with building a strong ego and adapting to societal norms, while the second half involves turning inward, letting go of the ego, and seeking deeper meaning and purpose. I have many self-help books on my shelves which I am in the process of weeding out, offering them to others, bringing them to the various incarnations of charity shops or simply dumping them in the recycle bin. However, in the process of letting go of these not-so-heavy but well-thumbed “pop psychology” books, I thought I might as well review one of them for this blog.
The
Element: Finding Your Passion Changes Everything fits into the category of personal development, has a nice bright cover, and
readers buy such books in the vain hope of finding the key to success in life. It could be read in one sitting in two or
three hours, as, unlike say philosophy or science or even good psychology, one
really does not have to struggle with understanding the arguments. However, like all such books, it speaks
interminably in generalities and sweeping statements, and really the reader will
be nodding in agreement, saying something like, "Yes, I agree with all that.
There is much wisdom here." And yet
that same reader will be disappointed, as I always am with such books, because
extraordinarily little by way of strategies are set out upon the page in such a
way as to help you put that "element" you have found into practice;
if indeed you are ever lucky enough to have found the so-called quality called
by such a “scientific” designation, and then improbably earn a living by it.
I
now read such books, not in the vain hope of suddenly landing the perfect job
with the right amount of financial remuneration, but to gain a few insights
into living life better. At least all
these types of books can do just that, but no more. Dr Ken Robinson, in this easily read book, asserts that finding your element in life will allow you to live much more
happily and contentedly. He speaks about
our need to connect with our true innate talents, about "growing
creatively," and finding our element, which he defines thus: "I use
the term the Element to describe the place where the things we love to do and
the things we are good at come together" (p. xiii).
Dr
Robinson also speaks in generalities, in which books like this abound. He speaks about a richer cultural vision for
humankind, of nurturing human talents and of improving human society. While finding your element is truly about
discovering what you really can do and about who you really are, it also, he
maintains, has implications for how to run our schools, businesses, communities,
and institutions. Yes indeed, all this
is laudable, but it is all highly and wholly aspirational. It's awfully hard to see how such aspirations
can be put into practice at all. This is
also a major criticism of most self-help or personal development books like
this: they have all the general and laudable ideas, all the aspirations, and
they are all truisms, yet, how to put them into practice is the major lacuna in
all such works. Furthermore, such books
really don’t take into account the existential project that life actually is on
balance: they concentrate almost wholly on positivity in such an unbalanced way
as to allow it to become somewhat toxic. In other words, it works to our detriment in
the final analysis if we do not take suffering and anxiety seriously as
necessary counterbalances to wellbeing and good mental and physical health. Such books often give readers unfounded hope
and unrealistic expectations in serious situations. At best, we will gain insights into living
better. At worst, the gullible among us
might come to believe that we can “think ourselves better” in all
circumstances.
Still,
I have learned some interesting insights from Dr Ken Robinson, one of which is
the difference between imagination and creativity, the demarcation points
between both being somewhat blurred in my mind. Robinson sees creativity as
putting imagination into action. It's
all too easy to have the ideas, but putting them into action, trying them out
is the most important aspect of the whole enterprise. This is where creativity comes in, because
this latter is all about putting the ideas, good, bad or indifferent that the
imagination comes up with into practice. In fact, in a felicitous sentence,
Robinson underscores the difference between imagination and creativity thus:
"You can think of creativity as applied imagination." (p. 67)
Other
interesting points for me were given in two chapters with interesting headings:
“In the Zone” and “Finding Your Tribe.”
The first is about discovering the power of the element at work in you,
and this very discovery is energising to say the least. Being in the zone is where you are conscious
that you are in your element and that energy is literally flowing through you
in a very natural way. I get this
natural feeling when I am either writing or reading my poems or when I was
doing MC at school functions some years ago.
Things come together. Yes, we do
our preparations, but extra insights and wisdom and inspiration hit us and flow
through us when we perform, giving a more profound order than that of which our
preparations made us aware in the first place.
I experienced this "in the zone" several times over the years:
at the graduation of our sixth years each calendar year and at a reading I gave
of my Irish poems on Arranmore Island some years back. There was indeed something elemental at work
because I had the distinct feeling on those occasions that this was my natural
work, that this was what I was good at and that energy was flowing through me. However, finding that element at work in or
through me did not bring added wealth, but it did bring satisfaction and a
little enlightenment.
Another
interesting point Robinson makes here is that it is not like work at all, that
you are energised rather than burning up energy. If you find your element, you can do your work
effortlessly, but of course with some initial preparation. I remember one of our national broadcasters,
Pat Kenny, saying that he was extremely lucky because his hobby was his
job. Very few people can boast of that. Pat Kenny (a radio and television host) is in
his element, and he is so lucky to be earning vast sums of money for doing it. As I write, he is still happily broadcasting
and growing ever richer at 75 years of age.
The
second interesting chapter is entitled "Finding Your Tribe" and this
is all about finding like-minded souls or kindred spirits. When I speak with other poets, I am energised
because we have so much in common.
Finding one's tribe, then, is like coming home in a sense: you have to
be welcomed into the arms of the fellowship because it is your spiritual or
natural family in a deep sense. Therefore, we should work at finding some place
where we really belong. This sense of
deep spiritual belonging with kindred spirits supports and nourishes us.
I
will finish this post with another interesting insight that Robinson offers us
about the difference between Western and Eastern minds. In a study, Westerners and Asians were asked
to look at a series of pictures and to describe what they saw. Essentially, Westerners tended to look at the
foreground and to focus on what they consider to be the subject of the
photograph. Asians, on the other hand,
focus more on the whole image, including the relationships between all the
elements in the picture. Also, in Asian
art there is much less emphasis on portraiture or even on individual
subjects. Furthermore, in Asian art and
culture, there is less emphasis on the individual and more on the
collective. Western Philosophy, as also
Western Culture, has always been concerned about the significance of the
individual, the growth of the self, the importance of that individual and his
or her freedom.

Comments
Post a Comment